Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Toning In!

I can see my high school basketball coach-slash favorite chemistry-teacher running us through the 'U' dance.  A ton of sprints signaled the start of every single practice, but up next was shot progression.   We'd cock our wrists back at 90 degrees and with the same bend of the elbow (forming the 'U') repeat the shot motion sans ball.  What discipline a bunch of high school girls had for such a basic drill!  It must have been our deep respect for the coach, or quite possibly the threat of more sprints, that kept us focused when all we wanted to do was play!

Yep, time for fundamentals.  

   Somehow I managed to glide over this part of my art education and jump right into heads!  In order to paint strong studies, or anything, one needs a distinct separation between the lights and darks.  This means a focus on tone and consistent value by making only subtle variations with in the respective light and dark sides.  For me in other words, not becoming so seduced by a color note that I disregard whether it belongs to the light or shadow.

Experiment #7 
(1 hour Sorolla study)
I thought perhaps using a very simple palate might be the way to go, so for this painting I used only Black (Ivory), White (Titanium), and Brown (Transparent Red Oxide).  My reference selection of a less obvious lighting scenario may not have been the easiest choice for this palate.  This was hard!  But then, they all seem quite hard!



For #8 and #9 I had the benefit of more direction from Terry.  I went back to my standard palate of White, Brown, Red (medium), Yellow (cadmium), and Blue (ultramarine), but varied the reference.  The first of these was done from an image in full color, while the second was done referencing that same image converted to black and white.  In this way I had an opportunity to bring my focus back to the value.  The second painting seems to have been more successful in describing the form of the brow, however most of the head is flat.  I forgot to refer not only to the black and white master painting, but to also use my previous painting to make better decisions.  I think I need another crack at this assignment.  Well, quite a few more cracks.


I am up way past my bedtime on a school night.  Yes!  I am grateful to have the morning off to attend a real Terry class tomorrow.  Off to sleep, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment