Saturday, February 22, 2014

1st Master Studies!




Picked up a music stand at the 5th String and a painting I love by Sorolla.  

The assignment: 

•1 hour on the timer
•gesture study (don't stress about drawing accuracy)
•do not copy, but in my own style
•not faster, but fewer strokes


Sorolla Study #1

One hour goes so fast!  I wish I could fix the highlight on her lower lip, it too big, but the timer is the authority!  This is a really fun assignment, Sorolla has done all the hard work and I just get to show up and play.  

Sorolla #2

Next stop in this book is an amazing selfie.  Yep, ran out of time.  His right eye could have used that upper lid stroked back in across it.  This 'Sorolla Tracking' is fascinating.  You really see so much more in a painting when you paint from it!  I love seeing the decisions he makes.  I think I did do decently on using the biggest brush for the job.  It is really easy for me to be seduced by the fleas!  That is paint the fleas before the dog.  I have lost a lot of dogs to the fleas...

Sorolla #3
Much cooler and grayer skin tones this time, reminds me of the Adam's Family.  Lower lip should extend past the edge of the nose, and that blue highlight is way too cool and too big.  I like the feel of it though!  Managed to keep things fairly simple.






1 comment:

  1. Nice job!! The dog before the fleas, the forest before the trees, the cheeseburger before the cheese? Something about the birds and the bees?

    ReplyDelete